Monday 24 September 2012

The Postmistress

The PostmistressThe Postmistress by Sarah Blake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Postmistress is a story that weaves three women together through chance, or perhaps fate.   From the first chapter, the book draws the reader in and entices them to read more, but sadly I found the story losing steam part way through.

I wavered between three and four stars when rating this novel.

Even though I enjoyed it for the most part, I was irked by a few issues, mainly the death of basically every single primary male character. Oh the drama! It was far too stretched.

And even though the author attempted to wax poetic through the novel, especially when the story switched to Frankie Bard, I began to find the prose boring and annoying by the end of the novel. Yes, so war doesn't make sense and we can all wax philosophical about it... waxing philosophical mid-story doesn't make for a great novel.

As Bard yammered on and on about the war, the meaning of it, the voices etc etc, I found myself yawning and thinking, 'Get to the point!'. It was as though the author couldn't decide between sticking to dramatic and high tension plots or meandering through view points on life and existentialism.

What could have been wonderful loses steam midway. I would still recommend reading this book but I would warn people not to expect the same pace and quality throughout the entire novel.

View all my reviews

No comments: