Wednesday 28 May 2008

There Are Days--

when I love my job.
I sit at the nursing station surrounded by doctors, nurses, therapists, pharmacists, other clerks, spiritual care, social work, maintenance, and I love what I do.
I love hearing people discussing medical cases, I love the drama of deSATing and chest tube issues, bad blood work results, surgeries gone wrong, and other such hospital issues.


I was talking to a friend today about being in love.
It feels sometimes to me (and to her apparently), that we give away our love too freely, and almost cheapen it.
Our love is squandered on people who barely notice it, and who don't understand or care about it's worth.
We fall in love inconveniently, always with the wrong people, choosing the relationships that will never be equal, but in which one person will always care more than the other.
And this is a serious character flaw.
Not judging a person's character thoroughly, but falling head-over-heels in love with them, our emotions driving us to hang onto every word they say, every action they do, every way they are.
I adore them, idolize the fiber of their being, and pour my every thought into them.
It's sad to think that they barely think of us, that our love is so wasted, that the tears we cry and heart-break we feel means nothing to them.
So, that's the serious character flaw. The fact that our love is not measured, is not treasured dearly, but we simply throw it at anyone who shows the slightest interest in us, and wearing our hearts on our sleeves, they are exposed and are broken easily.

No comments: