Tuesday 5 August 2008

The Antonym

As strongly and as firmly as I believe in the power of love, there's this other side that sings along joyfully with Good Charlotte--

Everybody, throw up your hands, say "I don't wanna be in love, I don't wanna be in love"

Because understandably, love is painful and at times we want to avoid it at all costs. It's as though we as a uniform group of people are agreeing that enough is enough, love is too hard, and we don't want any of it anymore.

Feel the beat now, if you've got nothing left, say "I don't wanna be in love, I don't wanna be in love"

So, although there is a part of every person that secretly desires to be loved and cared for, there is also this lurking feeling that love may not come, and when it does, it may not be as we expected it to be. Thus, it's easier for us to simply reject the notion of love, state that we don't need it, and live without being vulnerable to others.

No comments: