Wednesday 4 May 2011

How to write fiction

I don't know how or where to start.

First, there are so many options--plays, scripts, short stories, novels, essays, poems... I don't even know where to begin.

Second, what is one supposed to write about? What do I really know about life that is worth writing a novel over? Should I start at the beginning? I always find that the beginning just discourages me.

Third, how does one develop empathetic and loveable characters? I have no idea where to start or how to go about crafting a fictional character that is interesting enough to captivate a reader.

Why am I even seriously considering this? I don't have the ability to commit to a long term project like this and I most likely do not possess the stamina to forge on through pages and pages of attempting to create characters, plot lines and milieus.

Plus, I don't want to be one of those people who try to write stories for their entire lives and never manage to break through into the world of fiction. There has to be another career or type of writing that I can get into which is less competitive.

Photography and writing? Who knows. All I know is that I'm sick of my job. Time for a change.

No comments: