Friday 9 May 2008

I Feel.

I feel that television shows and movies should end happily.

Here's the reason for that thinking--

We all want a bit of unreality, a break from real life, some fantasy in our lives.
We need that happily-ever-after ending to falsely give us hope.
We need to believe that things could possibly, magically, sort themselves out.

It's hope, it's the possibility of a happy ending, that propels us through life.
It's the prospect of eternal love, it's the idea of a moral lifestyle, it's the possibility of happiness that makes us feel that life really could be worth living.

I feel that we need a bit of unreality and romance in our lives, to give us heart for life itself.

I love this bit--

“The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good tidings to the poor; He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound; to proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn, to console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.” -Isaiah 61:1-3

Interestingly enough, for me, it's not just the sublime possibility of the happily-ever-after that gives me courage to believe in the endless prospects life may hold.

It's the promises God has given us.
Comfort for those who mourn.
Beauty for ashes.
Joy for mourning.
Praise for despair.

What promises do you have, what do you cherish that you feel supports you through life?

No comments: