Monday 12 May 2008

My Love Affair With Television.

I'll admit it, I am having a love affair with tv shows.

I am currently watching/have avidly watched 20+ shows including: LOST, The Office, 30 Rock, Desperate Housewives, Veronica Mars, Arrested Development, Ugly Betty, NCIS, Robin Hood BBC, Skins, The O.C., The Tudors, Gossip Girl, Heroes, Tell Me That You Love Me, Sex And The City, Pushing Daisies, Chuck, House MD, Kyle XY, Jericho, Dead Like Me, Moonlight, and more that I probably can't bring to mind at the moment.

I've decided that tv is essentially for me, an escape from the realities of life.
I'd prefer to be wrapped up in the lives and antics of fictional characters than to think about my life.

I can't watch a show and censor the speed that I am watching it at. I sate myself it in, consuming it greedily and quickly. I've completed almost two seasons of The O.C. in about a week and a half.

I can clearly recall when I first started watching LOST, and how life seemed to fade away and stop for me, revolving mainly around the mysteries, characters, and intrigues of LOST. I would sit in my room for hours, days on end, watching with interest, the plotlines unfold. No one would disturb and I could be away from friends and family for days before any interest would spark in me about them.

It's so easy for me to fall into a tv show, to become obsessed with it, and to spend all my time thinking about it.

Sometimes I wonder when this love affair will end. Sometimes I hope it will never end, sometimes I pray that it's timely demise will arrive soon. It all depends on how my week is going, how my life is progressing.

All love affairs must end. The question is - when?

No comments: