Sunday 28 September 2008

Life Is Unexpected.

It does not take the twists and turns that we anticipate.

Our well crafted and intrinsic plans are more than often dispensed with.

It's impossible to predict the choices we will make in the future, impossible to predict where we will end up.

In our minds we have preconceived notions that things are going to be a certain way, and when those notions are thrown out the window, we are surprised and sometimes hurt that things did not go the way we thought they would.

The unexpected can be wonderful and challenging, but it can also leave feelings of remorse and sadness that we have not made the best of life, but built who we are around how we think we should be.

What if we could predict our futures? What if we could see the paths life will lead us down, tricky and twisty, through valleys and mountains?

Would that make living easier? Would it detract from the fun of life? Would being unsurprised help us cope with life better?

If you're struggling with understanding why your life has taken to the place where you are now, be comforted--as I am--by this beautiful passage:

O Lord, You have searched me and You know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
Your perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down:
You are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue You know it completely, O Lord.
Ps. 139:1-4

No comments: